I am a firm believer that more than one place can be called "home." It is the nature of our beings to move from place to place and from one life circumstance to another. However, we might not refer to every place we have lived as "home." "Home" is a word reserved for special places.
I have two homes here on this earth.
My first home is the one I have with Chad. Our life is my home; this includes our family and friends here with us. I love living in Plano, near our family. I love the friends we are so blessed to have. I love our church home, Prestoncrest, and the relationships we have built there. My home will always be with Chad, no matter where the Lord decides to take us. And, since our family is here, this will always be home, even if something takes Chad and I to a new place.
My second home is in Denver City. This is the town where I grew up. We were blessed to be in Denver City this past weekend, although the circumstances were sad. A very dear friend of our family passed away. However, despite these circumstances, I am so happy to have spent the small amount of time we did in my hometown. I visited with people I haven't seen in over 2 years. What is it that keeps us away so long from people who played such a large role in our lives?
Time is so precious, and I must admit, it is one of my most valued possessions. I am incredibly selfish with my time. Because our weekends seem to book up so rapidly, when we do have a weekend without any plans, my first reaction is to rejoice...a weekend with nothing to do! A time to rest, catch up on chores, spend time with only Chad. I truly believe that I am not at fault with this thought, but rather I don't use some of my time off in ways that I should.
I should plan to visit Denver City for the weekend, not because someone has passed away or someone is getting married, but rather just because I can. The people there have known and loved me since birth. I have some very close friends that have moved back and are raising their families there. I should see them more often. More than that...I want to see them more often. My friend Whitney was born only 4 days before me...she is an irreplaceable friend that has known me since birth. How is it that I can allow years to pass between our visits?
I finish with this...no matter how long it has been, when I go back to DC, I always feel welcome, and more than that, I always feel as though I belong. That's really what home is about.
Home is where we belong.
what a sweet post miranda. i totally agree with the things you had to say. it was great to see you last night!
Anonymous said...
4:56 PM
that was from courtney...oops!
Anonymous said...
4:56 PM
Hi Miranda, so sorry a sad situation took you back home. We are praying for all of you.
Anonymous said...
8:19 PM
I'm sorry for your loss.
Brooke said...
9:22 PM
i know! you come from such a sweet place-and i feel exactly like that when i go home to waterview...there is just something about "home"! love you girl-ken was such a special man!
MereMoore said...
10:33 PM